Monday 8 March 2010

Getting a grip

After my last post I realised it was another pointless moaning bad-beat post, but I just wanted to get it off my chest.

I realise that this is the nature of poker and it can;t always be run good, that said that last spell really was a tough one mentally. I think I am through the worst of it and have even managed to get back into the monthly profit, which is nice, but I did make a few changes...

#1 -  I dropped down to just four tables so I could properly concentrate and focus harder on the hand reading in the tough spots. This was probably a main contibuter to me being back in profit. I also tried to nit it up a little more than I usually do because when you are not hitting anything it just feels spewy to keep raising pre flop, c-betting flop and folding turnb or just check-folding flop and in turn that leads to frustration, tilt and more spewage.

#2 - I played much shorter sessions. I did the pretty much worst thing a player can do when they are winning, is that I kept stopping to book a session win. It wasn;t about being scared of losing it back, but was more about that when I returned later to PT3 and I looked at my sessions, a number of green sessions (profitable ones) worked wonders for the self confidence and thats something I needed to work on rebuilding after the down swong.

#3 - I stopped hero calling retarded fish. This is something I am, terrible for when I have a hand like TPTK vs a retard. I bet for value, but when they say raise me on the turn or river, I don;t like folding to them because I basically have an ego problem of surrendering chips to retards, which ironically ends up costing me more money to these fish. lol. I suck. I think thios saved me quite a bit of cash too.

I am not getting as many hands in as I would like or generating the RB I would also like, but right now it;'s about rebuilding. Rebuilding the confidence, rebuilding the mental strength and rebuilding my BR. Once I am fully confident again I will step back to 6-7 tables, but with the the promise to myself that I will try and focus harder whilst playing.

Variance - I am a slave to it as a poker player and as such I must accept it, deal with it and try as calmly as I can to just get on with it.

I still have so much to learn about this game despite playing it for so long.

A message for you mr variance... ( I took this photo of Snake eyes at the last RTR meet)

2 comments:

  1. #3 - I stopped hero calling retarded fish. This is something I am, terrible for when I have a hand like TPTK vs a retard. I bet for value, but when they say raise me on the turn or river, I don;t like folding to them because I basically have an ego problem of surrendering chips to retards, which ironically ends up costing me more money to these fish. lol. I suck. I think thios saved me quite a bit of cash too.



    hmmmmm never thought of it that way but brilliantly put mik!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think the "calling retarded fish" is the hardest part of crossing over from tournaments to cash.
    In a tournament, you don't fold to these guys, because you never (or rarely) have to!

    Not sure I agree with nitting it up a bit. All you are doing by doing this is cutting down on both your wins and losses, and as a winning player, this will cost you money.
    Nit it up against the stations a bit by all menas, but keep punishing the nits - don't become one!

    ReplyDelete